The full source code is available on Github – if you want to edit and compile this yourself (requires Android Studio).
You can download the compiled Smart Poi apk here.
Some notes on the app:
- I have not been able to get this to work on Android Pie (9), and haven’t tested with Oreo (8) yet. With Android Marshmallow (6) and Nougat (7) you will need to first select Airplane Mode and then enable WiFi to avoid Android system’s annoying captive portal detection system. Basically Google wants us to be connected to the internet at all times.
- Requires a WiFi connection to work (preferably connected to the SmartPoi Access Point) – without it the app will force-close.
- This app does not access the internet, only connects to the poi over WiFi.
- The app will look for a folder in Pictures called SmartPoi. Inside are sub-folders for 10 banks of images. Each sub-folder (Collection0, Collection1, etc) must have at least one .jpg or .png image inside. The app will force-close if you try to navigate to a folder which does not contain an image, or has an image which is too large (> 300px or so)
I made a separate app to create folders and put some pics in for you, find it here. Run the application once and then uninstall it again.
- I have uploaded the old manual which is available here
– this is an old manual but gives some idea of the working of the poi.
This video is a bit old now, I have integrated all the functionality shown here into one large app since, however the video does give a good idea of the functionality.
When spun in this video, the poi look choppy due to the low frame rate. Please take my word for it, they look a lot better in real life. I have a better looking video of both sizes of poi being spun here:
So a lot has changed since I uploaded the manual and video above. All of the functions are now in one app, with the exception of the text app (get it here)
Also new are backup images (4 banks of 5 images) which can be displayed if the WiFi is not working, and controlled from the app, or changed by switching the poi off and on again. I have an old slower Windows only version of the program for uploading these to the poi to test out here (untested on Windows 10, please let me know if it works!). Code will be uploaded to Github soon.
Next up: the circuitUPDATES:
Sign up for our update alerts: